Linux Howdy - Windows Hello Camera Login

Can we get his added to the base image? I tried installing via a Fedora distrobox and the box does not have access to the hardware camera and it fails to setup the auth. Plus I also wonder is the box has the nessicary PAM access to support OS authentication. I can’t find an easy way to install it from a COPR via rpm-ostree.

6 Likes

+1
Would also like this as an alternative login option!

This would need to be done on the host in order to have access to the pam stack.

What do you mean by that?

You cannot do this inside of a distrobox.

Yes and that is exactly why it would be nice to have it in the aurora/bluefin/bazzite base image :slight_smile:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I would also be interested in this coming to Bazzite.

I would also love this option. Although I am using fingerprint login and am prompted for my password anyway when entering GNOME. So I am wondering if this camera based option would just create a similar annoyance.

You can install howdy via copr, I setup howdy already on my bazzite install

# bazzite ships a copr helper script
copr enable principis/howdy-beta
dnf install howdy howdy-gtk

howdy beta is required for config files to be in /etc, which is a writeable directory on bazzite

then you can do something like this:

e.g. update device_path in /etc/howdy/config.ini to /dev/video3

/dev/video3 is the IR camera on the Minisforum v3 tablet

1 Like

for future reference, here’s a link to the repo for the copr helper util: GitHub - ublue-os/COPR-command: A small script reenabling the "COPR" command on Fedora distros not including it

Thanks for the info!
On Aurora,
dnf install howdy howdy-gtk
does not work.
Instead I had to use
rpm-ostree install howdy howdy-gtk

Edit:
Also for future reference, here is how to actually enable camera login:

First: run howdy-gtk to add your face to your username.

Then enable howdy for the login:
sudo nano /etc/pam.d/sddm
add following lines to the top:

auth    [success=1 new_authtok_reqd=1 default=ignore]   pam_unix.so try_first_p>
auth    sufficient      pam_howdy.so

Now, during login I get asked for a password, but when I just hit the enter key, howdy jumps in and lets me in into my system :slight_smile:

2 Likes