Our maintainer @ledif has been working on something really nice and its finally time to show it. This new shiny thing is already merged in the latest and stable-daily streams, so without further ramblings:
There are still some small issues around, for example the details window and the preference UI shows that the rebase didn’t finish successfully, although looking at rpm-ostree status a new working deployment is staged for next reboot.
The older ujust rebase-helper scripts is still available if you prefer to use that.
I still don’t quite get how it’s actually working. For example, the first option system updates is doing what? Aren’t uBlues automatically updating themselves? Mine sure is and I don’t have that thing turned on.
About hardware enablement, one should still be able to have proprietary drivers for Nvidia even for newer models of GPUs, right?
This is a bug as we changed the update services a while back and the GUI is still looking for the old update service → so it shows the updates would be off. It will be fixed.
So even if the GUI shows updates are not on, they are in the backend.
Yeah you can enable the nvidia drivers from the GUI.
I should have propably made it more clear that this is still in “beta” stage and will have errors / small hiccups.
Your idea and initiative are good.
My suggestion would be to add more information on what the feature is and how it works more specifically within those exclamation marks. That would make it easier to understand for some users.
I’m open to suggestions about what to include in the little info bubbles next to the options to better explain what they do.
As @inffy mentioned, the updates toggle not being checked is a bug that I just fixed and should be pushed in the next stable-daily image.
In general, the ability to disable updates has been explained by @j0rge in the past as “if you are on a work-trip for the next few days and you need your laptop to be rock solid, turn off automatic system updating.” I’m not sure how to convey that in an info bubble, but maybe something like “Enable and disable core system updates”?
As far as hardware enablement goes, from my understanding the main difference between HWE images and non-HWE images is that HWE comes with Bazzite’s kernel whereas the non-HWE images come with Fedora’s kernel or CoreOS’s kernel.
I’m not a great documentation writer, so it’s not clear to me how to convey in the little bubble what it means to use Bazzite’s kernel without listing the various patches that it carries such as ASUS and Surface support. Any suggestions are welcome!