Aurora IBus Wayland doesn't work in Chrome

After installing Aurora, I installed IBus Wayland through Settings → Keyboard → Virtual Keyboard. After rebooting, IBus works fine in Libre Office and Firefox but doesn’t work within Chrome (flatpak). Anyone else seen that? Maybe there’s an extra flatpak permission I need to give to Chrome?

Since you’re on Aurora (KDE), can you try running this via the terminal: flatpak run org.chromium.Chromium --enable-wayland-ime --gtk-version=4 and see if it works then? (If --gtk-version=4 doesn’t work, maybe try --gtk4). If it works, you can add them to the Chromium config file, like so:

~/.var/app/org.chromium.Chromium/config 
> cat chromium-flags.conf
## enable wayland & hardware acceleration
--ozone-platform-hint=auto
--enable-features=VaapiVideoDecodeLinuxGL,WebRTCPipeWireCapturer
## input method
--enable-wayland-ime
--gtk-version=4

If it doesn’t work, you might want to try Fcitx5 instead of ibus. According to this Fcitx5 input switching should work fine with Chromium (and most likely Electron apps) if you’re using KDE. (It doesn’t work yet in GNOME, unfortunately).

I see! I tried both but unfortunately none is working, quite unfortunately.

But my god! I tried fcitx5 and it works like a charm. It also integrates much nicely, and has a panel much more coherent with the KDE design language. Wow! It works so well that I almost think that should be what Aurora installs by default, not IBus

Anyway, thank you!

1 Like

Glad to hear that! As far as I know Fcitx5 should be the default input method framework in KDE, I wonder if this is not the case for Aurora or Fedora at large? If so, @j0rge, maybe this is worth exploring :eyes:

I’d much rather not have to overlay packages, for that matter. But I also don’t see myself breaking the system because I installed fcitx :joy_cat:

Someone needs to file an issue and start making recommendations, I don’t know much about KDE so it needs to be in GitHub so others can see it (bluein repo):

2 Likes