What can Bluefin do that Bazzite can't?

Hi, I use my home PC as a gamer first but also I like to tinker with programming, I’m a developer during the day and at night I like to have some fun and experiment with new tech etc. I still don’t understand the differences between Bluefin and Bazzite in terms of development and developer tools. I guess, in the end you can probably do the same stuff, but I’m talking about what comes out of the box ready to use.
Also now that I’m here, I have another question about Homebrew and this image based style of distros. Do homebrew install packages as containers? How does this work under the hood?
Thanks

1 Like

There is also bluefin-dx which adds Visual Studio Code and various cloud-development tools on top of bluefin. On bluefin you just get Vim out of the box.

If you are into cloud-native software development, then bluefin-dx is a great choice. If you are doing other software development, then bluefin-dx might still be a good choice but you will need to install additional tools that are relevant to your use case. bluefin is also a reasonable starting point if the overlap with cloud-native tooling is too small for you.

Gaming: It really depends on what kinds of games you want to play. If all your games are available inside steam or they can be found on FlatHub, then Bluefin is a perfectly fine choice, because you can just install steam and other games from FlatHub.

No. There are 2 options:

1. Install software into the bluefin-cli container
  2. Install software on the host, under your user account

In any case, homebrew-software will share an environment with other homebrew-software.

1 Like

Thanks @stego . So for example, on Bazzite I have installed the VSCode flatpack and I want to develop something using devcontainers. At the moment the devcontainers extension is asking for Docker, I believe I can use Podman instead but it can’t find the executable at /usr/bin/podman. Is this a limitation?
I am also trying to install the latest VSCode on Ubuntu using distrobox, will that work better after installing docker or podman on it as well?

I’ve found a solution to my own question that seems to work so far. Made a symlink inside Ubuntu in distrobox that uses the host podman executable
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/190ccv7/vs_code_dev_containers_on_silverblue/
Still trying to find my way around all this container stuff :sweat_smile:
If there’s an easier way, please let me know :+1:

VSCode + Devcontainers are recommended to be used with Docker instead of Podman in Bluefin

That is because, even if we use Podman for nearly everything,
VSCode + Devcontainer expect some Dockerism, and you could be against some problems and even more so if you use multiple chained Podman containers

1 Like