[Solved] Can't run containers after rebasing

I was on the ublue kinoite spin and recently rebased on a wayblue one (hyprland). While on the former spin I used podman for almost everything I did. Now that I’ve rebased on the wayblue image I cannot attach to containers via podman. I can download images, and the containers I run actually start (I can see them with podman ps -a after they exit). Trying to run the container however fails. Here’s an example of what I’m seeing:

joe@oryp7-personal ~> podman ps -a
CONTAINER ID  IMAGE       COMMAND     CREATED     STATUS      PORTS       NAMES
joe@oryp7-personal ~> podman run -ti hello-world
Resolved "hello-world" as an alias (/etc/containers/registries.conf.d/000-shortnames.conf)
Trying to pull quay.io/podman/hello:latest...
Getting image source signatures
Copying blob 83d537244900 done   | 
Copying config a4e07799a3 done   | 
Writing manifest to image destination
Error: OCI runtime error: crun: sd-bus call: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1: Input/output error
joe@oryp7-personal ~ [126]> podman ps -a
CONTAINER ID  IMAGE                        COMMAND               CREATED        STATUS      PORTS       NAMES
421cb2d7062b  quay.io/podman/hello:latest  /usr/local/bin/po...  6 seconds ago  Created                 exciting_zhukovsky
joe@oryp7-personal ~> podman run --detach hello-world
Error: OCI runtime error: crun: sd-bus call: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1: Input/output error
joe@oryp7-personal ~ [126]> podman run hello-world # No arguments
joe@oryp7-personal ~ [126]> 

Does anyone have an idea of what this error means or how to fix it?

EDIT: Seems to be dbus related. If I switch to a TTY and run podman run hello-world it works fine. But if I do dbus-run-session podman run hello-world it fails like above.

Thanks!

I solved issue. tl;dr don’t use dbus-run-session to start your wm.

Turns out that starting my window manager with dbus-run-session was the problem. These images (assuming all ublue images?) use dbus-broker instead of dbus-daemon as the dbus server implementation. dbus-broker does not have an equivalent to dbus-run-session, therefore running that command spins up a separate message bus that the window manager connects to. However, podman (maybe the cgroup? I don’t understand containers well enough at that level) is connecting to the original dbus-broker session. Removing dbus-run-session from the wm incantation fixed it.