Re-basing from ublue-os/base?

Hi,
Currently my two home servers run ublue-os/base customized via the startingpoint repo (nothing more than adding and removing rpms).

With the other desktop based images I’ve had no trouble re-basing, but I wondered if coreos was any different as its usual install method would be different.

Thanks for any advice!

I haven’t used any of the server focused images, but I would imagine that you can rebase from uCore to CoreOS because they’re all still using rpm-ostree. Would love to hear more knowledgeable people chime in.

So I tried this yesterday, first on a machine I don’t need on a day to day basis! It was running ‘kinoite:39’, I pinned that, then rebased to ucore:stable. It just worked with no trouble at all! I rebooted into CoreOS, confirmed it looked as I expected, and rebooted back into Kinoite. Isn’t is amazing that we can just do that now?

I then moved on to one of the machines I actually wanted to rebase. It’s an Intel NUC that runs several podman containers. Between them they access several USB devices and the Intel graphics chip. The machine was running my version of ‘base:38’ and again the rebase went with no trouble at all.

I rebooted into CoreOS, could still ssh in, saw that all the podman containers were running, and that they were still able to access all the hardware devices. The only real thing of note were all the selinux messages. It’s running in permissive mode so nothing was actually broken.

So big thanks to the project for what they have enabled me to do here!

2 Likes