Request to add a software/package: Hardinfo2

Hardinfo2 is amazing for inspecting, analyzing, and comparing one’s PC and its many devices. It’s a bit like Window’s Device-Manager on steriods. It’s also active and included in Fedora repos: GitHub - hardinfo2/hardinfo2: System Information and Benchmark for Linux Systems

Can we add this to base Bazzite and possibly Universal Blue? On my machine, I think it was ~18 MB, and it’s super helpful benchmarking and comparing my specs, and just seeing what’s going on in my computer.

2 Likes

This looks nice, but I think it would make more sense if someone created a flatpak. Or does this run on such a low level, that it absolutely needs to be installed outside of a sandbox?

The only reason I asked for system inclusion was because they don’t have a Flatpak version I’m aware of, but I’ll see if I can find the right place to ask them if Flatpak is viable. I used BoxBuddy to put this in a Fedora thing, and that worked to some extent, but several key areas were missing, like the stuff that depends on FwUpd.

The/A maintainer of the software pushes back against Flatkpak, Flatpak viability? · hardinfo2/hardinfo2 · Discussion #67 · GitHub
They cite security concerns and that this package is closer to the kernel. They strongly recommend distro inclusion instead.

I’m not an expert in this area, so I don’t feel a strong opinion either way, but I do think HardInfo2 is so powerful and light, it would be incredible to have this as a default package or an add-on. I hope the software is made available in some way. We users could always overlay it ourselves.

The CPU-X flatpak can give you all of that.

If you really want this in particular, you can layer it with rpm-ostree install hardinfo2.

2 Likes

Hard disagree CPU-X can give all of the same things as Hardinfo2, but I understand there is not sufficient interest in including Hardinfo2.

I’ll layer Hardinfo2 on my machines. Thank you for considering.

No need to layer, this can be installed in an arch distrobox from the AUR.