New install ok, then boot fail

Hi, hopeful new Bazzite user here.
Installing along side Win10… shrank volume to free up 240 GB for Bazzite.
Seemed to go fine… installer allocated 70 GB for OS and 170 for Home.
Got to desktop, selected a couple of additional apps to install, then hit reboot as instructed.
GRUB came up and auto selected Bazzite 40, saw boot screen, then went blank after a few secs and stuck there. Tried hard reset a few times and same result.
Win10 no longer boots either.
One clue I got on Bazzite desktop… got a message about memory out.
What can I try at this point?
Thanks,
S.

Could you please add what hardware you are running and which Bazzite ISO you used?

While the system is booting, try press ESC, it might give you a better idea of what the error is.

When you get the blank screen, does it give you a terminal that you can log into if you press CTRL+ALT+F2? If so you can log into the terminal (note that the password field will stay blank while you type). Then see if you can launch the desktop manually with /usr/bin/startplasma-wayland

Thank you very much for the reply @wolfyreload.
I was able to get the terminal and load the desktop following your instructions.
Here is a screenshot with some info on my setup:

going to try rebooting now and will report back on success.
S.

Posted my last update from Bazzite machine, but still no dice on reboot. GUI main menu shutdown and reboot buttons don’t work… very strange.
I did an update from the terminal and rebooted from there.
As of yet can’t get back to a terminal from blank screen using ctrl-alt-F2. Maybe like last time, after waiting a while, I’ll be able to invoke the terminal again.
Any and all ideas on this issue appreciated.

S.

Did you do custom partitioning or let the installer create the partitions for you? I haven’t seen a Bazzite install using a EXT4 filesystem for the install. If you have a spare drive handy, it might be worth putting Windows 10 and Bazzite on their own disk.

I created a video a while back for getting out of the blank screen issue (if CTRL+ALT+F2 etc doesn’t work)https://youtu.be/gE1ff72g2Gk but re-installing might be easier.

Great little video. I think you are onto something with the fie system. I will reinstall.
Thank you.
S.

Reinstalled with BTRFS and still have the black screen on boot. Initial boot after install worked fine, but reboot after setup utility run is the problem. I wonder if I made a bad choice for my old hardware by selecting the gaming mode version. Is there a way to disable gaming mode at boot? I couldn’t find it. My MB doesn’t have UEFI btw… could that be the problem?
Thanks,
S.

You can switch to the desktop image by rebasing to it with rpm-ostree rebase ostree-unverified-registry:ghcr.io/ublue-os/bazzite:stable

Rebase complete… Bazzite working well.
Thanks for your help Michael!
S.