Integrating `blivet-gui` pr `gparted` into the core

Currently Bluefin/Aurora includes GNOME’s Disks, which may be enough for simple partitioning.

The problem is that is not enough for other filesystems, especially btrfs which comes by default. Enabling GUI applications like blivet-gui (part of anaconda installation) or gparted (third party), require rpm-ostree install xxx which not all users should be using since it’s mostly “last resort”.

I think these utilities should be included into the base image, or at least, made available to install using ujust --install-gparted/blivet safely.

Note: I tried the rootless Distrobox for both but coudln’t run, and even if they did, these detected no device.

1 Like

Have you tried using the included gnome disks?

Yes, but it doesn’t list BTRFS subvolumes. Not even udisks can make up their mind (since 2010), so I think we’re bound for third-party tools to manage BTRFS partitions, subvolumes and snapshots, let alone backup plans.

BTRFS subvolume mounting is exclusive to editing etc/fstab. I tried to mount an subvolume for /home/superman with 1000:1000 but then the system refused to boot and had to revert the fstab using a live distro.

BTW, no luck trying Distrobox for using tools like ButterManager or blivet-gui. These need root and for some reason they don’t detect any disk if I create/mount them as root.

Oh sorry just realized that you had mentioned that in your original post! I’d just layer it, do the thing you need to do to setup your disks and then remove it?

Well, to constantly do snapshots and restore them I need an app installed permanently.

I don’t think I’m the only one that needs a BTRFS manager, as the CLI works, but a graphical manager would be a better experience.

2 Likes