Btrfs and snapshots

Hi,
I’m very very new, I just installed Bluefin. I come from Fedora KDE. I’m no developer, I’m not afraid of the terminal, but I’m a real beginner there.
I don’t completely understand the underlying mechanisms of an atomic desktop, but I’ll keep reading and learning.
I used btrfs assistent/snapper to have snapshots from my system. I guess that’s not useful on this kind of system. How do I manage snapshots, or do I have to maintain them, can I see somewhere that they are being made?

There are parts of Bluefin that are designed to be writeable: /var and /etc. It can make sense to take snapshots of these directories. Note that your home directory is at /var/home/jonasan and not /home/jonasan.

Thank you.
If i search for btrfs, snapper or snapshot, there are no results in flatpak.

Flatpak are meant for GUI applications…not CLI applications…

Yes, I know. I used Btrfs Assistent on Fedora KDE, which is a GUI application.

but it need to have root access to the system, so you should install that app though rpm-ostree install

You don’t need this app there’s no need to layer it. Your initial thoughts were correct, it doesn’t make sense to snapshot reproducible data.

You can just back up your home directory and call it. If you’re making a ton of changes in /etc/ then it might be worth backing that up, but usually there’s no need to touch anything in there post-installation.

3 Likes

I use it to back up /var and /var/home.

I do this when I am making changes to my ‘production’ containers.

Take a snap shot, experiment, if it doesn’t work do a rollback.

This seems to work very well for me unless I’m missing something important (could be, I didn’t do a big ‘study’ on the inner workings of snapper and BTRFS, but I have broken my containers (ComfyUI, adding new nodes that install conflicting python or system packages) many times, and a quick ‘restore’ and reboot works perfectly so far.

Much better than doing a backup (which I do, but for other reasons than experiementing with containers) and then a retore … snapshots take no time at all (the reboot is the only time consuming part) to take or restore … backups can be a real time waster to use to do something like this.