How is your experience with Hyprland

Has anyone experienced development using Hyprland with any Silverblue derivative?
Is it worth installing it?
Any recommendation for a tiling window manager for Gnome besides PaperWM extension?

1 Like

It looks interesting, wonder how youā€™d install it (assume within a distrobox), and have it available to launch into on login? As a longtime i3 user from back in the day Iā€™d love to try this out.

Finally, I installed Hyprland this afternoon.
According to some posts I read, there are three methods for installing Hyprland in Silverblue derivatives.:

1. Adding it as a layer. ā† It installs but with a missing dependency. I havenā€™t tested personally. Experience from others.

2. Rebasing using a Silverblue image (Fedora 40) from here: GitHub - wayblueorg/wayblue: Fedora Atomic images for wayland compositors. Itā€™s called Wayblue. I tested it. Installs and runs well. The only problem is that I would need to reinstall my applications, which are running perfectly in Bluefin-DX.

3. Using Nix. I havenā€™t tested it yet. I found it here Reddit - Dive into anything. I may opt this route so I save time in reinstalling development stuff if going with method #2.

The only care I had was creating a dummy user account to login into Hyprland, so my original user account doesnā€™t get polluted with dotfiles from Hyprland. At the end of the test in #2, I rebooted with my Bluefin-DX and logged in with my user account with no Hyprland/Fedora SB 40 legacy issues. Screenshot attached:

1 Like

Hey thanks for documenting this because I really want to checkout hyprland, but Iā€™m having an issue. Iā€™ve rebased to a signed silverblue:40:

phil@fedora:~$ rpm-ostree status
State: idle
Deployments:
ā— fedora:fedora/40/x86_64/silverblue
                  Version: 40.20240426.0 (2024-04-26T02:24:22Z)
                   Commit: 0b286d9a9224913d6b946aa9d386a6ba9f2d7473e0540c1dc3ebf52533aa67ef
             GPGSignature: Valid signature by 115DF9AEF857853EE8445D0A0727707EA15B79CC

ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/ublue-os/aurora-dx:40
                   Digest: sha256:624d149bb1a62b9b6fd99c153b0f405b7494ad114df02039ae1ea5ab09dcacc9
                  Version: 40.20240425.0 (2024-04-25T16:51:42Z)

However Iā€™m not able to rebase to hyprland:

phil@fedora:~$ rpm-ostree rebase ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/wayblueorg/hyprland:latest
Pulling manifest: ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/wayblueorg/hyprland:latest
error: Preparing import: Fetching manifest: containers-policy.json specifies a default of `insecureAcceptAnything`; refusing usage

BUT, even more concerning, I canā€™t get back to bluefin:40! :scream:

phil@fedora:~$ !183
rpm-ostree rebase ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/ublue-os/bluefin-dx:40
Pulling manifest: ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/ublue-os/bluefin-dx:40
error: Preparing import: Fetching manifest: containers-policy.json specifies a default of `insecureAcceptAnything`; refusing usage

So Iā€™ve mucked up something, perhaps unrelated to hyprland :smiley: any idea how to recover?

Answering my own question

rpm-ostree rollback

Which took me back to a working rpm-ostree. So what silverblue image should rebase to, so I can rebase to hyprland? I must be making this harder than it isā€¦ but thatā€™s how I learn! :slight_smile:

You rebased to stock Fedora silverblue which doesnā€™t have our signing keys so rebasing from there wonā€™t work without rebasing to an unsigned image.

After youā€™ve done an rpm-ostree and then rebooted into the ublue image the rebase to the wayblue image should work.

1 Like

Are you back to your working Bluefin?
Did you pin your working Bluefin before rebasing?

I had trouble as well trying to rebase to Wayblue. The problem was that I have too many pinned Bluefin versions. After I unpinned all but one, Wayblue was able to find ā€œroomā€ to install and show itself in the boot menu.

From that experience:
(1) there seems to be a limit in the number of pinned versions a user can have. I am not completely sure, but I read it is five. But it is a mystery to me why Bluefin didnā€™t let me rebase until I had only one version pinned, even after I did the signature thingy.
(2) Always pin the working version before going around rebasing to another Silverblue derivative.

You are totally fine. :+1:
You donā€™t have an idea how many times I broke things experimenting with Bluefin-DX. But it is all worth it. It is a totally different kind of Linux.

Got it! I thought you had to go to Silverblue to get to Hyprland, but no, so I got into it after a rebase back to bluefin-dx:40 (which I pinned)

@f0nzie it looks really nice, and makes remember how much I liked i3, but this, everything works and is configured really nicely! I had to blindly figure out the ā€˜superā€™ key, how to open a term, close the active window, launch the file browser, lock the screen, logout, and open a run dialog. Iā€™m going to get a hyprland.conf from their docs and look at modifying things to learn how to use it, but wow, looks very nice! Thanks for the help everyone - I do miss all the bluefin-dx things now though, so I see you point. Fun!

1 Like

By the way, there are no dotfiles files or folders associated with this Silverblue derivative installation. I was looking for them to make some modifications. It turned out that Hyprland was installed with Nix. The configuration files, such as hyprland.conf, will be living somewhere else such as /var/usr. That gives me an indication that installing Hyprland via Nix in my current Bluefin-DX might work.

Tested #3 Installing Hyprland using Nix following the instructions here. The installation completes but at the time of starting Hyprland I get some errors related to the absence of these libraries: iris_dri.so, kms_swrast_dri.so, swrast_dri.so.

The only modification to the instructions is exporting a system variable befoire installing nixGL: export NIXPKGS_ALLOW_UNFREE=1.

Anyway, Hyprland doesnā€™t work in my laptop installing it via Nix.

I just looked up your missing kernel extensions, and found a couple things that might help:

Is the ostree mesa-dri-drivers equivalent installed by default on SB 40, or have you layered it? IDK the rpm-ostree method for checking your equivalent-to-rpm installation status, but you could check your /usr/lib{,64} directories and see if theyā€™re there:

ls -1R /usr/lib{,64}/*.so | grep -i -E 'iris_dri|kms_swrast_dri|swrast_dri'

Hereā€™s the official reference for that package if you want to install it - all 3 of the missing libs you referenced are in it:
https://packages.fedoraproject.org/pkgs/mesa/mesa-dri-drivers/fedora-40.html

While I didnā€™t see a direct match for someone troubleshooting a Fedora system with the same issue, there is an Ubuntu user who was able to run a different application that required the same dependencies using this environment variable. Itā€™d be easy to try it, e.g.:

MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i965 ./Hyprland

reference: libGL error: failed to load drivers iris and swrast in Ubuntu 20.04 - Ask Ubuntu

Anyway, good luck, and thanks for leading the charge!