Help with Wayblue

Hello, i am a bit new to github (but not on linux or containers) and i can’t seem to understando how should i install the Wayblue spin of fedora atomic desktop… can somebody help me?

You just download Silverblue, install Silverblue on your target machine, boot into it, open the terminal and then follow the instructions to rebase. Run the first rebase command, reboot, run the second rebase command, reboot. If you have an NVIDIA card, follow the steps provided under Post-install.

does this remove gnome completely?

Short answer: Yes, if you use the recommended SDDM image.

Long answer: By rebasing you’re basically replacing Fedora Silverblue’s default system. The SDDM images don’t include gnome-shell and therefore GNOME packages aren’t included either, but the GDM images do, as stated here. So yes, if you rebase to the SDDM images, you will not have GNOME on your system anymore.

1 Like

Last question: if i use a base fedora atomic image (with no de or wm) does this work the same?

If by “use a base Fedora atomic image” mean the atomic variant you will install first and then rebase from, well, Fedora has Silverblue, Kinoite, Sway, and Budgie variants, and all of them comes with DE/WM preconfigured.

If you mean the image you will rebase to, I don’t think I’ve ever come across any UBlue (or any other user-made) image which comes without a DE.

But yes, rebasing means you are replacing your system “template”. Theoretically speaking you should be able to rebase from image with DE to no DE, or from no DE to DE.

What i was trying to Say Is: from the ublue repo i can get a base image which has no DE or WM. Can i rebase this One? I’m trying to achive a minimal installation of Fedora atomic

If it exists then yeah you’ll be able to rebase to it

Note that this discourse is about Universal Blue, not Wayblue