Clarifications

I have recently forked the uBlue startingpoint repo and started customising my own uBlue based distro.

I am now trying to understand if stuff like bluefin-cli or Prompt will make it into uBlue or not and also if Bluefin has a startingpoint repo where one can potentially create their own Bluefin custom version.

I believe it would be great to have a comparison page describing each variant of the uBlue based images and what is their use case.

At the moment I am a bit confused if I should just continue with my own custom uBlue or move to Bluefin, however I do not want to lose the flexibility of uBlue’s “templating”

2 Likes

bluefin-cli is just a toolbox so running distrobox create ghcr.io/ublue-os/bluefin-cli should work on any Linux with distrobox. I’m playing with it on an Ubuntu machine and it’s coming along great, heh.

Prompt won’t be going into the main images, we scope those to stay stockish, more on that here:

There has been interest from Fedora upstream on Prompt in Silverblue/Kinoite and it’s something we’ll be keeping an eye on! And I think the Architecture Diagram might help explain what’s going on with all the images:

https://universal-blue.org/architecture/

At the moment I am a bit confused if I should just continue with my own custom uBlue or move to Bluefin, however I do not want to lose the flexibility of uBlue’s “templating”

I personally use the Fork method described here but it comes down to personal preference. If you can describe what you’re trying to modify it might help me give better advice.

Hope this helps!

1 Like