Aurora Announcement

Probably the most notable ones are built-in codecs, tuned for better power management on your laptop, a better terminal experience with Ptyxis, Boxbuddy for managing distroboxes, Starship CLI (https://starship.rs), Tailscale, included zsh and fish.

The DX Version includes things like Docker, DevOps Tools like kubectl, kind and an easy way to get familiar tools like Jetbrains Toolbox or brew via “ujust”.

3 Likes

If you want an aurora variant of secureblue, open an issue on the secureblue issues page, not the other way around.

Battery management:
Since I use it on my desktop, is it possible to tune it for max performance instead?

Starship CLI:
Would this conflict with Powerlevel10k?

You can manually switch to a different profile, not sure if this is persistent.

1 Like

I can’t, because you seem to have permanently blocked me even from opening issues :slight_smile:

BIG Announcement

Aurora got added to the official Bluefin repo!

Hello pro-stargazers. As some of you might have already seen, Aurora got added to the official Bluefin Repo in a big rework by the fantastic @m2giles. The images now build out of this repository, including new :40 tags that include Plasma 6. Making this drastic but necessary change makes Aurora and Bluefin coexist more peacefully next to each other as it makes maintenance work a whole lot easier. This also means Aurora and Bluefin now get features equally fast when they get added to the image.

Rebasing to the new shiny images

As a precaution you should always pin your last working deployment.
sudo ostree admin pin 0

This also means the images that live in my personal account are now bascially deprecated but still available.
To rebase to the new images, please use the following command (adjust accordingly to your current image that you’re running, e.g. aurora-dx-asus-nvidia):

Use the :40 tag for the new shiny Fedora 40 images or the :latest tag to get the latest stable release.

To get Aurora 39:

rpm-ostree rebase ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/ublue-os/aurora:latest

To get Aurora-DX 39:

rpm-ostree rebase ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/ublue-os/aurora-dx:latest

To get Aurora 40 (do note that these images may contain bugs):

rpm-ostree rebase ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/ublue-os/aurora:40

To get Aurora-DX 40 (do note that these images may contain bugs):

rpm-ostree rebase ostree-image-signed:docker://ghcr.io/ublue-os/aurora-dx:40

Please test out these images and give us feedback on how they are working out. New ISOs coming soon!

9 Likes

I installed Bazzite 39 because I didn’t know Aurora existed – I wanted KDE.

Is it possible/advisable to rebase to Aurora from Bazzite?

What are the big differences between the two?

You can rebase from Bazzite to Aurora. Some things may require manual corrections like copying files from /etc/skel into your homedir.

Bazzite is more focused at gaming. It has steam/lutris and a bunch of fixes to support having a world class gaming experience on linux.

Aurora/Bluefin are more aimed at being a just works. Something that has reliable atomic updates. Additionally, there are the -dx versions which integrate a bunch of developer tools onto the image.

4 Likes

@NiHaiden somehow stumbled onto the website early. Please let me know when it’s ready to go and we will post on the Mastodon account!

3 Likes

Get it out there, I deem it ready. May have some more layout and responsive issues, but the content and layout is fully baked.

2 Likes

No, it’s not persistent. However I found a system setting in the “Energy Saving” section where I can switch to a “Performance” power profile. Not sure how this works exactly though or if it has any noticeable effect at all…

Hello can you help to fix this issue at installation step on a Asus Zenbook Pro UX501JW?

Did you try reinstalling a second time? And checking if the download is correct with the checksum that is also provided.

Hello, Thanks for answer…

Yes i verified SHA.
Moreover I prepared USB disk with Fedora Media Writer and Rufus with persistence.
I tried boot from Ventoy too.
Still stuck in the same installation step (deployment starting …)
What can i try more?
Thanks

Yes i tried five times… Reinstalling…
Checksum match.

Please when you plan a new release to try?
Hope soon…
Etruscan

We are making new ISOs right now.

1 Like

Hi, I was just installing Aurora and encountered the issue as above. What, would you say, is the better solution in your opinion: Kinoite install and rebasing to the Aurora image (the one mentioned on github) or waiting for the iso? Thanks

There should be new ISOs on Sunday.

However, Ive confirmed that the current ISO works on for a fresh install.

You can also make your own local ISO from the bluefin repo.

1 Like