Any way to get the overlay in gaming mode while in-game? CTRL-1/CTRL-2 or Guide button not working

Hi everyone,

Trying to set up a console like experience on a HTPC with a Ryzen 5 3600x and RX 7800 XT. Installed the bazzite-deck version of the OS so that I could get the performance overlay, decky loader plugins and more console like experience.

Everything working great with Emudeck setup, etc… Only there is one thing: the steam overlay just does not want to appear in gaming mode, while in a game.

So to be clear, steam overlay works in the following scenarios:

Gaming mode:

• In the steam UI, using either CTRL-1, CTRL-2 or the guide (xbox) button on my controller

Desktop mode

• In the steam UI, using either CTRL-1, CTRL-2 or the guide (xbox) button on my controller
  • While running a game, using either SHIFT-TAB or the guide (xbox) button on my controller

It’s not working in the following scenarios:

Gaming Mode

• While a game is running (guide button is not working nor is CTRL-1/CTRL-2 working).

Is there anything that can make this work? I usually connect to this machine using something like sunshine or steam link so not being able to quickly quit f.e. an emulator or non-steam game that’s running through the overlay is not ideal… I’m familiar with the terminal, installing plugins, etc… so looking for any way to make this work :D.

Thanks

1 Like

Seems that even on the steam deck just with SteamOS people are having issues getting the overlay up while playing a game… ( How do you access the Steam home menu with a physical keyboard in docked/gaming mode? : r/SteamDeck (reddit.com))

Don’t know if you can maybe override something with a decky plugin?