Won't boot into newest image

Running Bluefin Nvidia gts. The system updated on September 15th and I’ve rebooted several times since then, but grub isn’t shown and it boots into the immediately previous image. Grub configuration is set to Unhidden, but the system goes immediately into the decrypt disk window.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That disk space warning is a clue. You might have one too many pinned images, I’d try cleaning up the old one from aug 31.

2 Likes

Thanks Jorge! So the newest image may be incomplete rendering it unbootable?

I don’t think it’s incomplete, I think it’s something grub related. Not my area of expertise, I’ve seen this happen to a few people before but not on any of my machines, let’s see if others can chime in.

I would start by looking in the journal like it recommends to do.

2 Likes

1 Like

Disk is full as the error states “No space left on device”

1 Like

Removing the oldest image has freed up enough space to boot into the newest gts image. Still not going into grub though. Since I have a dual boot system I’d rather the system always go into grub.

Still having issues with boot, grub, and now cleanup of old image. My gts desktop won’t update, show grub, or cleanup old image.

For the past week I’ve not been able to get grub to come up despite configuring it to always show. I’ve been trying to remove the 39.20240907.0 image, but rpm-ostree cleanup -r doesn’t work. The command never completes and the only way to terminate that command that I’ve found is to just reboot the PC. And this morning I saw the 39.20240928.0 image was available. I rebooted from the 39.20240921.0 image, but instead of going into the new image, it boots back into the 39.20240921.0 image. I was hoping the newest image would fix the grub and inability to remove old image problems, but no luck.

Please help.

1 Like

What happens if you unpin those pinned images?

Nothing happened except that the system forgot that it had been updated.

Can you show a status? I wonder if a rpm-ostree cleanup might clean those out.

The rpm-ostree cleanup -r command won’t complete. It hangs. If you can suggest another cleanup command to try that would be great.

I’ve disabled automatic updates until this issue is resolved.

1 Like

I entered grub by pressing the esc key during boot and selected the immediately prior image to last week’s gts image. After pinning it, I tried to remove the other images through rpm-ostree cleanup -r, but still having the same problem of it hanging. I’d planned on clearing out the 39.20240921.0 image and trying the newest image, but am concerned that there might already be too many images to upload another image to boot into it. I’m hoping that the newest gts image has the bug straightened out that causes cleanup to not complete.

Any suggestions?

@j0rge is it possible for me to boot into one of the other operating systems (Kubuntu) on this desktop, go into the Bluefin drive and delete some of the UB images from the system partition? Thanks

I’m not sure, this is beyond my skill level at this point, not sure what’s going on there.

2 Likes

@harold I apologize for interjecting with a question that may not lead anywhere, but do you have a partition for /boot or is it mounted as part of your root filesystem? The fact that ostree is complaining about being out of disk space puts my mind to thinking that you have a dedicated /boot partition in the typical, default size range of 100-512MB and have outgrown it. And that it doesn’t matter what you do in your root filesystem or from what OS you do it, because it’s your /boot that’s too small.

At the risk of sounding patronizing, I’d invite you to check an fdisk -l and eyeball what kind of partitioning strategy you’ve got going on.

gl

1 Like

Three images haven’t been a problem before. However the current three images may be larger than any previous three sets of images.

1 Like

So, is /sdc2 mounted on /boot and /sdc1 on /boot/efi with sdc3 on /? How much free space remains on sdc2?