Rpm-ostree layered VPN not starting

Hello there, i am using bazzite and attempted to install the Windscribe rpm file using rpm-ostree install. I was successful in doing so, but when i attempt to launch the client, the client displays an error ‘Failed to Start’ and states that it is malfunctioning. Is there something else i can do to get the client on my bazzite? I have been enjoying using it a lot and found almost everything i need via Flatpak, but this one appears to need the rpm to work.

Did you try to install it in a distrobox/container and launching from there?

If it works, then you can export it to the host with distrobox-export

Such VPN clients often need a systemd service to be enabled. Try this

sudo -i
systemctl enable #press TAB key

and see if something like windscribe-daemon.service exists.

Dnf seems to enable these services automatically, rpm-ostree doesnt.

You might want to change the title to “rpm-ostree layered VPN not starting” as the “install local rpm” part worked fine.

Also you might want to ask them to create a repo, as not having one is an unneeded security risk. See the issue on that topic which got closed as they 1. Have no idea of immutable distros and 2. think their builtin updater is a good solution.

Maybe I was a bit mean in that comment haha, but you could add one there, to show your interest. (I think if they offer a paid service it is more okay to demand secure practice, unlike in other FOSS projects)

yes i did using a Fedora container and got the same error message so did not go down the export route.

You need to run a VPN client on your host OS.

thanks for the feedback, changed the title as suggested. I did not see the windscribe service running after checking. That issue you linked sounds like they are claiming they don’t have the support to do anything for linux beyond a deb/rpm file to download which is a bummer.

I mean they actively implement an updater process in their app, which is typical behavior on bad operating systems that dont have repositories. This is not lack of resources, they are hosting their releases somewhere and just need to add the bits of metadata to make it 2 official repos.

Did you try enabling a service for windscribe?

yes i understand this, but getting them to change might be a tall order at this point. Do you mean adding it as a OpenVPN connection via KDE networking settings?

1 Like

this works, but depending on your threat model, this may have another issue:

(Unlike most VPN clients, using the KDE/GNOME GUI for VPN connections has no leaking protection)

Yea im not really ok with the compromises i would need to make to go the route of the built in KDE solution.

this will hopefully be resolved soon with a systemwide fix. But note that VPN apps make money and have paid developers, this is a big factor.

see the fedora discussion thread for more interesting infos!

Read this today, sounds like there are larger issues with this provider than i realized:

1 Like

this is VERY important.

Do NOT install Windscribe.

Their serverside code may be just as bad, but at least using an official Wireguard or OpenVPN app will improve this a ton