Research project: reclaimIT

dear reader,

way back in 2010, I became increasingly concerned about the quantities of electrical and electronic waste that were being produced, both locally and globally.

then living in Wales my business was involved with the 10:10 campaign and 350.org - I secured a small quantity of european funding to pilot a project, to reclaim old, redundant and outdated ICT equipment and repurpose this for a community benefit.

however, over a decade on and this ‘rubbish’ trend continues.
Larger quantities of technological items are now being produced, purchased, consumed and disposed of, on an almost exponential curve.

This cycle of infinite growth with finite resources, is not just stupid and is dangerous.

In 2018, I established @librecomms & co-founded @lasalpujarras
during this time we have collectively and collaboratively supported and enabled various local-first community initiatives.

Across our diverse and rural communities, there is a greater dependency upon digital technology and with an increased dependency upon it within our daily lives - we feel a study of cooperation in open technology and its practical application as a regenerative educational tool, is worthy of further investigation.

project lead: @adinfinitum

“in cooperation, not in corporation.” @tqt

2 Likes