Has anyone else had problems with BoxBuddy pulling wrong images?

I’ve noticed when trying to create a Fedora 40 distrobox with BoxBuddy, it pulls in Fedora 39 (registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora-toolbox:39 after selecting registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora-toolbox:40) and when trying a Debian distrobox pulling in Ubuntu. I have to revert to the command line and there it works as it should. I’m on Bluefin-stable. I’m not seeing this issue anywhere I’ve searched online :frowning:

edit: tried it on a lark again just now and selecting registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora-toolbox:40 is pulling an Ubuntu image…

Just tried pulling Fedora 40 and it works fine.

I really haven’t messed with any configs. This is a fresh install in a VM. Again, this is only an issue when using the BoxBuddy GUI.

Definitely strange. I clicked the + icon upper left, chose Fedora 40 from fedoraproject.

Just tried again with ptyxis (had previously set preferred terminal to gnome-terminal) and it worked ok. Very odd…

1 Like

Wait, no. The issue still occurs when selecting a custom home directory. Fedora box pulling an Ubuntu image instead. Try that on your end if you will?

Custom home directory means permissions have been changed. Maybe that has something to do with it. I’ll give it a go anyway.

1 Like

Worked fine, again. :laughing:

Did a search and it mentions if your default terminal is not configured correctly this can happen. Do you have Ptyxis as default?

I do now, still an issue

Doesn’t look like Ptyxis, or maybe you have a custom startup. Ptyxis will have a + icon in upper left.

Anyway, maybe it is pulling the cached image from when you first tried with gnome terminal.

Hmm, I’ve deleted all old images from all these tries though and have been doing so all along.

No, this is definitely ptyxis, I haven’t changed anything in its config

Delete your old boxes and try this.

ujust  clean-system

Then try BoxBuddy again.

thought I had the solution but it’s actually, for anyone reading this: under “home directory (leave blank for default)” in the BoxBuddy GUI you need to write the full path, ie. “/var/home/gecko/fedora-box” rather than just “fedora-box”. Seems like a bug, considering the latter does create the directory in the same place.

If the admins find this reproducible, perhaps this can be stickied or posted somewhere (sorry I’m not too familiar with discourse yet)? Considering the central role distrobox and the BoxBuddy GUI serve.

Thank you @Plyply for helping me trobleshoot this :slight_smile:

@j0rge discourse isn’t allowing me to respond anymore today. says I have to wait 17 hours. here’s a screenshot

so in the bottom field, you can’t just put “example”, that’s what causes it to bug out and pull the wrong image (weird, I know…so far I’ve gotten an ubuntu image when asked for fedora, fedora 39 when asked for fedora 40, ubuntu again when asked for debian)…it has to be the full path, eg. /var/home/USER/example

1 Like

if you can take a screenshot of boxbuddy with the full path I’ll just put it in the docs.

1 Like

Got your edit, I’ve upped your perms so you’re good to go. Thanks for this, I’ll integrate it into the docs when I get a hot minute, thanks for investigating!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.