Fixing Blank/Black Screen After Login When Changing Login Shell to Fish

If you recently changed your login shell to fish using ujust configure-shell and are experiencing a blank or black screen after logging in, there is a known issue with the SDDM display manager that causes this problem. Here are the steps I have personally usded to resolve it:

1. Reboot your system and get to the login screen.
  2. Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch to a virtual terminal (TTY).
  3. Log in with your username and password.
  4. Run the following command to change your login shell back to bash:

ujust configure-shell

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch back to the graphical login screen.
  2. Log in as usual. You should now be able to access your desktop environment without any blank/black screen issues.

If you aren’t able to login immediately, restart and try and login again.

This problem seems to be related to a compatibility issue between the fish shell and the SDDM display manager, as reported in these GitHub issues:

Note: This tutorial is based on my experience with the Aurora (versions 39 and 40), but the steps should be similar for other distributions using SDDM and fish shell.

Do you know what the name of the sddm executable is on your system? I can’t find anything that looks related to it. But I can also imagine that sddm is only installed on Aurora while Bluefin uses GDM.

I don’t use gnome, so I don’t know if this would apply on Bluefin.

Yes, but what is the name of the sddm executable on your system? Once I know that, I can check if it is also running on Bluefin and investigate if my issue is related to yours.

Pretty standard,

/usr/bin/sddm
/usr/bin/sddm-greeter

1 Like

Thanks. Just for those who might stumble upon this later: These paths don’t exist on Bluefin.

ujust configure-shell is not available on bazzite-nvidia (f40- kde)