Davinci resolve installer fails, possibly writing to an atomic/immutable area?

Hiya,

Loving bazzite, just having issues with some video editing programs that I’m trying to install, the first being DaVinci Resolve.

The Ujust resolve command installs davincibox but fails at the final step. After that I attempt the final appimage step manually but that fails as well.

I was wondering if anyone else is having these issues.

Ty

Yeah, I had the same issue when I tried it a while back.

I manually installed Davinci into a ubuntu:22.04 distrobox

Here are the notes I took, but it’s probably not that easy to follow since I was not creating ‘install instructions’, but rather documenting the process for figuring out what is needed.

You should be able to pull out the ‘install instructions’ from this, but I didn’t make them obvious :wink:

If you have questions, just ask (I’m in Thailand so depending on your location, the response might not be ‘instantaneous’!

II also have similar instructions for a "RockyLinux:

Glad to know its not just me, I get so mad at linux when these kinds of things happen. Thanks so much for your reply, I’ll take a look now.

I have a complete write up on this and yes all of these work on Universal Blue: The Definitive Guide to DaVinci Resolve on Linux | Trafotin.com

Basically, here’s what you do:

• Extract the installer
  • Download dependencies for the installer or extract the files using squash-fs.
  • After you extract the files, run the installer from Ptyxis (Terminal).
  • Accept all the defaults. Resolve with save in /opt and will survive reboots.
  • When you are done, run the following commands to fix your dependency problems:
sudo cp /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0* /opt/resolve/libs
wget https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/38/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/g/gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.10-2.fc38.x86_64.rpm 
rpm2cpio ./gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.10-2.fc38.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv
sudo cp -r usr/lib64/* /opt/resolve/libs
rm -r usr
rm gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.10-2.fc38.x86_64.rpm

There is also davincibox, but drag and drop is not reliable and is not very usable on laptops because Distrobox often gets hung up on dGPUs or doesn’t know what to with them. I have found the most reliable method is manually installing and since Resolve ignores codec dependencies, you can even use archived deps and they still work.

2 Likes

Thank you for this detailed reply. I’ve seen your YouTube guide on DaVinci. Is it functional for your needs or do you lose anything vs windows/macos?

So I installed Resolve 19 last night and there are some changes.

Out of the box on Aurora (probably Bluefin too), Resolve added an enviroment variable SKIP_PACKAGE_CHECK=1 to bypass the installer’s dependency checking. The variable is still needed, whether you choose to run the AppImage installer thing or decompile the installer and run the binary. While it still requires zlib, I was able to complete the installation fine.

env SKIP_PACKAGE_CHECK=1 ./DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_19.0_Linux.run

Second thing to note which I failed to mention is dependencies. I believe uBlue has all the dependencies preinstalled and you shouldn’t need to do anything, but if you are curious davincibox has a list: davincibox/extra-packages at e44ce3480995fb602954be46ab4da6380f2a53f0 · zelikos/davincibox · GitHub

Third thing to note is a modification to the instructions from a few days ago, because Fedora 38’s mirrors have shut down/migrated. Now you need to download it off the link when I uploaded to the Wayback Machine. https://web.archive.org/web/20231220041143if_/https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/38/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/g/gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.10-2.fc38.x86_64.rpm

Below is an updated command that will fix the dependencies packaged with Resolve.

sudo cp /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0* /opt/resolve/libs
wget https://web.archive.org/web/20231220041143if_/https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/38/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/g/gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.10-2.fc38.x86_64.rpm
rpm2cpio ./gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.10-2.fc38.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv
sudo cp -r usr/lib64/* /opt/resolve/libs
rm -r usr
rm gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.10-2.fc38.x86_64.rpm

I’ve been using 19 so far and it’s more of the same as 18.6.7. As far as Windows/Mac differences:

• You can’t hear AAC/M4A audio. The only way to deal with this is to convert the audio to another codec using something like ffmpeg, e.g. ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le newvideo.mov.
  • MP3 only works with constant bitrates and not variable bitrates. They did announce some changes to MP3 on Linux, so will have to test this.
  • You cannot add AV1/MKV clips with audio. Instead, you need to use something like ffmpeg to split the audio and video into separate files, then it works fine.
  • You cannot export AV1 and audio together. If you export the video and audio individually, you can merge them in post with ffmpeg later.
  • License checking requires a static MAC address if you use Studio.
1 Like

Those limitations on codecs and combinations of video/audio formats, are these regarding the free version only or both free & studio (I know the AAC limitation is for both, but I don’t think I’ve tried, or ran across any of the other combinations yet, that I know of?)