Bazzite Initial Setup and Installation Guide

This is the old documentation, please view the new documentation.

Important Installation Notes:

• Use a download manager if the direct download fails or is downloading too slow.

• A physical wired keyboard is recommended.

• Create a User Account with a username and a user password if you have a keyboard.

• Make sure to only select the appropriate drives to avoid losing data on others, and it is best practice to safely remove any external drives before proceeding.

• Secure Boot is supported on most hardware, but you must enroll our key.

Choose Your Hardware:

*Indicates that Steam Gaming Mode is intended for this device and ships with the ISO.

Issues Installing Bazzite?

The workarounds detailed in the guide are also useful for downloading a smaller ISO size.

View the Troubleshooting Guide for installation workarounds.

ā† View all Bazzite documentation

1 Like

What are the setting to use in Rufus? I could not get the image to boot, so obviously I created the bootable USB wrong.

I am not actually that familiar with Rufus and currently do not have access to a Windows installation, or have hardware capable of running it in a VM. However I can recommend trying to flash the ISO again with Balena Etcher or Fedora Media Writer. Both have Windows ports.

I installed Bazzite with the root option enabled (didnā€™t RTFM). Is that going to be a problem?

You should be fine, but if you start noticing major issues I would backup and reinstall. If you setup a user with a password, then it should be fine. Root privileges are not really needed with a system like this.

We wouldnā€™t offer the option, but post-installation user setup is only available currently in GNOME, so we have to include user setup in the installer and that requires the option of a root account in the Anaconda installer.

I have a couple questions. Iā€™ve installed on my ROG ally and all is well except it doesnā€™t sleep properly. The fans are still on? Also is there a way to turn off CPU boost?

Thanks!

Iā€™ve installed on my ROG ally and all is well except it doesnā€™t sleep properly. The fans are still on?

That issue is sporadic and weā€™re looking into it. These sleep issues may be related to other issues when dual booting Windows on the Ally. Iā€™m not sure if you did that, but thereā€™s also been reports that network issues have occurred on Bazzite if you didnā€™t shut down properly on Windows on the Ally, and that may be related to your sleep issues.

Also is there a way to turn off CPU boost?

CPU Boost does not work with Bazzite regardless. We use the new AMD scheduler which doesnā€™t have support for using CPU Boost anyways. You can read more about that here:

My new Onexplayer X1 (Intel Ultra 155h) just arrived today, installed Bazzite (Handheld Deck version) and when Game Mode, Steam looks flipped to left 90Ā°. Any mode to put it on landscape?

Can you open an issue here and be sure to fill out the Hardware section? A picture of the deviceā€™s rotation would also help. Thanks!

Just reported here :wink:

Keyboard an Mouse doesnt Work in Setup assistent . Steam Deck

Wired keyboard/mouse? Which Steam Deck model?

Wired Keyboard and Mouse
Steam Deck LCD

Are you sure your USB hub is powered and working correctly with the mouse/keyboard outside of the installer?

Yes, it works outside of the installer. I can still select the USB stick using the keyboard, but then there is no recognition except for the touchscreen.

1 Like

Does the tab key work in the installer for navigation at all?

Nope, it doesnt work

FYI the anchor link at the top of the post regarding rebasing doesnā€™t work. Should direct here: Bazzite Initial Setup and Installation Guide

TLDR of that is just run the new ujust _install-system-flatpaks after the rebase to get the distroā€™s opinionated flatpaks installed. Thatā€™s a new feature from the pull request just merged today: feat: add command to support rebasing by noelmiller Ā· Pull Request #989 Ā· ublue-os/bazzite Ā· GitHub

This is a certified Discourse moment. When you open up the document from the ā€œDocsā€ section, it works: Bazzite Initial Setup and Installation Guide

But when you open it in the thread or ā€œview discussionā€ then it will load the doc page and you would have to click it again. Itā€™s kind of silly, Iā€™m aware.

I was also in a middle of a editing the installation guide in a draft here, and when I went to reply to you it opened up my installation guide draft. Platform has some quirks to it sometimes.

Thanks for adding that command. I havenā€™t been catching up with the new ISO stuff.

Thank you for all your help on this. Is this still true on version 3.6? I just installed on my ally x and the CPU boost toggle is there in the overlay (as is the CPU power settings of low/balanced/high) but when I try to change the setting it doesnā€™t stick (jumps back to balanced and CPU boost enabled. Are these actually disabled and thatā€™s just a mislabeled element in the interface, or how can I turn those off?

Not sure if these settings are still accurate as of the most recent version since this response was from March!