Ptyxis configuration modified by bluefin "GA"?

First, I 'm new to “universal blue” and image based software distribution. So my mental model may not yet have caught up to the New Way. That said, my bluefin box was just updated to “Fedora Linux 39.20240423.0 (Bluefin-dx)”. As a side effect my personal (mcarifio?) configuration for ptyxis 47.alpha got overwritten(?), which was not what I expected. I thought $HOME/** was “mine” and off limits to system changes. But perhaps ptyxis configuration is somehow shared or considered a system file?

Good to see you again Mike! This is certainly not intended behavior, sorry about that. I’ll check in the morning (or if someone else can get to it first…)

Oh hey, can you open gnome-terminal and rule out that your data was overwritten?

ptyxis wasn’t in F38 so maybe we just confused you without warning.

Back atcha. I have converted all four machines in my LAN from fedora to bluefin (but kept the old boot disks around just in case). You had me at nvidia

Sorry, I f-ed up your test by redoing the config manually and (maybe) overwriting the overwrite.

1 Like

Tried it on another bluefin box and the configuration for gnome-terminal (== ptyxis) is overwritten. But it also doesn’t seem to be in ~/.config/ptyxis or some such.

Looks like the configuration for ptyxis is kept in dconf org.gnome.Ptyxis.** and there is an entry in ~/.config/dconf/user which adds to those settings. The file is definitely modified during the upgrade. But it could also be that the ptyxis’s dconf schema changed so much that it was unavoidable. I don’t want an upgrade to reach into my ~/.config/** in general.

1 Like