Dolphin Folder Contents Preview Not Showing - KDE Plasma

Hi everyone,

I just recently started using Bazzite, KDE edition. And I’m having a strange issue in Dolphin File Manager where I can’t get the folders to show the folder contents as an icon preview.
At first I thought it was just a limitation of Dolphin but some videos showing off Dolphin on YouTube from the last 12 months seem to show otherwise.

Here’s what I’m seeing and a photo of my settings showing that it should be enabled:

In my Dolphin settings (I can only have one image attached) I have ‘Folder’ selected under the ‘Show previews in the view for:’ sections and also at the bottom the check box labeled ‘Show previews for folders ⓘ’. As well as local storage set to any size and remote set to 5MiB limit.

I’m not sure why I can’t get images to show for folder, all other file previews seem to be working properly. This was like this after I installed Bazzite too and is present on by my admin and non-admin accounts.
I did try a different KDE icon pack too to see if it was something to do with Breeze but still not luck.

I would love some insight into this! It’s not super critical but it’s really just a big annoyance to not be able to see the contents at a glance.

Just wanted to pop in and mention that this seems like a KDE issue so it might be helpful to also post it on discuss.kde.org

Having the same issue four months later. Worked totally fine on Fedora KDE running the same Plasma version, so I’m pretty sure it’s a configuration bug on Bazzite’s end rather than an upstream issue. They also work fine on the Dolphin Flatpak, but I’d rather not use it as it’s limited in other ways.

If anyone else is having this problem, it’s caused by ROM Properties as I explained in this GitHub issue. Disabling it in Dolphin fixes it for now, and the ROM Properties dev is working to push a fix upstream.