Couple of quick questions

I’ve been running Linux Mint on my Framework 13 since I got it, but I’ve been thinking about trying something new and this caught my eye today after I saw it on HN tonight.

I’m kind of an idiot so I apologize if I don’t understand how it works perfectly:

1. I have some setup scripts that will install all of my needed apps and setup my dotfiles just the way I like them. These are also used to create a docker that I can SSH and VNC into when I don’t have access to my computer - so that I can still do something if I need to. If I understand correctly, this distro works as a container as well? Would I be able to use this as a better version of what I’m doing for my dev container now?

2. Is it complicated to enable hibernation (suspend to disk) on Silverblue? I haven’t touched Fedora in years so I wouldn’t even know what to look for.

3. If I buy a new Macbook at some point, will this support that?

1 Like

Welcome to the community! I’ll let the technical folks give more detail, but I’ll do my best to answer what I can.

If you’re familiar with editing a containerfile as a way of making changes to a Docker image, then this project may be a great fit for you! Every image is literally a container image that you boot off of. Furthermore, you can make your own custom image that takes those changes from your containerfile into account and then run your system from those builds. I think you’re in the right place.

Assuming you’re talking about Apple Silicon, there are talks about making an atomic version of the Fedora Asahi Remix. It’s possible that will start within Fedora or here in uBlue. As of now it’s not currently available so your best bet would be the Fedora Asahi Remix itself, which is not atomic.

2 Likes

I gave it a first one on an old Thinkpad today, and I’m struggling to get hibernation working - but to be fair, I can’t find anything about getting it working on regular Silverblue 39 either :slightly_frowning_face:

Kind of a big deal for me, but I’m going to keep playing around with all the other features so I can get more familiar with customizing it. I’ve never used distroboxes before so I’m trying to figure that out

LearnLinuxTV did a video on Distrobox as a beginner’s guide - could be helpful.

2 Likes