Changes to kernels on the latest branch

NOTE: This is for folks who are on bluefin:latest. You are only using this if you opted in and rebased to it or if we had to put you there for hardware reasons. Most of you can ignore this.

Since sched_ext is scheduled to land in 6.12 and we likely have to keep Surface and Asus images around anyway we’re going to go ahead and switch the :latest branch back to the vanilla kernel. We want to do this now so we can move to it now ahead of F41’s release. We’ll reinvestigate scheduler goodies in the future.

Here’s where we are now:

I’ve updated the docs with the right information. This change will land sometime this week (maybe even later today). Here’s the issue to track if you want.

2 Likes

That’s some good-looking documentation! I might’ve made different choices if I’d seen that before installing. Especially if it also included information about how to override auto-updates. Without that information, it very much feels like the choice of what kernel you will run today is needlessly conflated with how frequently you will update. Maybe there are f41 features I anxiously await, but I don’t want to be shipped twice a day indefinitely.

Will there be a way to rebase to ‘stable’? Or are you saying (not sure I understand the process from your explanation) that we will automatically get the ‘stable’ version and only get ‘latest’ if we ‘opt in’ or have specific hardware?

I have Bluefin: latest … maybe I made a mistake in my choice during a ‘rebase’ (I would definitely have chosen ‘stable’ unless I missed something during a rebase … but anyway, I would much prefer to be on ‘stable’ … even if I have to do a reinstall to get there)

What are my options, or rather I am running ‘latest’ now, what will I be running when I do an update after the changes land?

1 Like

You can rebase to stable by following the same instructions I linked, select stable instead of latest and it’ll walk you through it.

1 Like

IF you mean the ‘ujust rebase-helper’ command? Then I am already in the process of switching channels now.

Thanks