Bluefin-dx, Nvidia CUDA, VSCode, experiences?

Anyone daily driving this setup?
I’m itching to move from Debian to Bluefin-dx.
Would appreciate hearing any perspectives and experiences.

As a data scientist, bluefin has been the light at the end of the tunnel. No more broken instances, no more mismatched packages, everything has been super smooth. So I’m mainly working with jupyterlab .

Also as a gamer, everything just works out of the box for Nvidia etc.

Quite honestly the only other say ‘distro’ that I’ve had painless experience with other than Bluefin has been Manjaro. And Manjaro was painless because of the AUR… I just don’t see how the ublue-os way of doing things is not what the standard going forward is going to be.

just my 2cents

3 Likes

hey @zartarr88, I’m curious, how do you use bluefin for your data work? How do you use JupyterLab? with devpod or in a distrobox or otherway?
Thank you for sharing any details :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

(Realizing you didn’t ask me, but just an update.)
While I love the non-distro, back in December there was still some friction for using it with vscode, tensorflow, and CUDA on Nvidia. I would love for bluefin* to become the de facto data science/ML/AI non-distro.
Since then I’ve been using EndeavourOS, and it’s been smooth sailing.
I hope to get back to bluefin-dx, but at the moment, all NVMe and SATA ports are occupied, so can’t try a bare-metal install.
Well, I do have another fast usb-c drive now. Hmm…

@JohnAtl, could you describe what fiction you encountered? I plan to work with that set of tools as well. Thanks!

I don’t remember the details, and some of it may have been self-inflicted.
I’m itching to try it again, but I added an Intel video card to do display duty to free up memory on my Nvidia GPU, and it seems to have complicated things.
Give it a try, let us know how it goes!

@zartarr88 ,
Glad you had your Nvidia working.
I have a laptop with an RTX 3080 in Bluefin-DX-Nvidia but still cannot make it to work with a benchmark app called Heaven. I get max 12 FPS, while if I reboot with Windows 11, for the same app, I get 160 FPS.

The GPU is recognized in Bluefin-DX through nvidia-smi. I can also see the GPU info in the Nvidia server app. But I don’t see an Nvidia control panel as in Ubuntu, for instance.

Any tips to make the GPU work in Bluefin-DX?